Wednesday, November 25, 2009

End of the High School Football Season, the Thanksgiving turkey, inbound marketing and the rhythm of life.

As I sit here in front of my computer, my son is getting ready for the last football game of his sophomore high school football season, our Thanksgiving turkey is happily thawing out on kitchen counter and I am in a very Zen mood, thinking about rhythm of life, changes in the marketing industry and how all this change reflects on the way I make my living.

This time of the year always puts me in a reflective mood. This week there were few blogs I read that sort of tied it all together for me. The first blog I want to mention is this week’s Marketo blog. Jon Miller offers a very succinct and poignant summary of how marketing evolved in the last three decades…from mass communication to internet search dominance to contemporary social media brand building. He suggests that marketers are now focusing on social media, search and content marketing to build brands. Jon states:
…”More and more information is available off the official corporate website and on social media sites ranging from LinkedIn and Twitter to YouTube and SlideShare. As buyers tire of “marketing speak” and over-aggressive marketing tactics, they search social sites as part of their research, and interact with other prospects to get and share word of mouth recommendations”.

The next blog that I want to note is posted by Shannon Sweetser to Inbound Marketer’s Blog. Shannon states:
…creating meaningful content such as whitepapers, webinars, and blog posts that “concretely describe solutions to problems” is a much more effective way to get found by your customers than sending an unsolicited sales message via email.”

Finally, one of my very favorite blogs, the Digital Buzz Blog posted a fantastic slide presentation by Aden Hepburn that talk about the Basics of Social Media ROI. The presentation is written in CEO-speak; smart, funny, interesting and very informative. Social media is not a transactional sales tactic that translates into immediate sales increases the same reporting period that you start implementing the strategy. That is like inviting people over to your house for drinks and whipping out the Tupperware catalog while people are engulfed in a conversation. Instead, what it will do is gradually enhance non-financial indicators like increased website visitors, WOM, social mentions, impressions, positive press, blog comments as well as an upsurge in click-throughs and perhaps more visitors to your brick & mortar sales floor. We just have to make sure we using the right tool and the appropriate time span to measure its effectiveness.

As I said, I am in a very reflective mood. I see the changes in our industry and I am excited for the possibilities ahead. Being a marketer and staying true to my principles as a human being sounds simplistic. But I firmly believe this is the authenticity era in marketing and I am happy to be part of it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinions and comments are very important to me. I may not always able to provide a personal response, but I do appreciate your taking the time to comment here.